Monday, November 29, 2010

Elder Timmy's Farewell

My brother Big Timmay just left on his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to the North Atlanta, Georgia mission. He will serve there for 2 years. He will not be paid for his service, in fact missionaries pay to go on their missions. It was a call that came from God and Tim is willing and excited to accept. This day has been a long time in coming and I am so proud of him for making this tough yet rewarding decision. He had many challenges to overcome to be ready to serve and I am inspired by him for doing what he needed to do to make himself available to serve. He is a strong young man and I know he will serve our Father in Heaven and His children in Georgia well.

Typically the Sunday before missionaries leave they have what is called a "Farewell." They speak in church and then have a big gathering afterwards with all their family and friends. And let me tell you did Tim have a BIG gathering at my parent's house. I have never seen that many people at my parent's before. One could barley move there were bodies crammed from wall to wall. We weren't even close to being in fire code I am certain. The above picture has all the nieces and nephews in it that Tim will not see while he is gone. We can only write letters or emails. There is no talking on the phone (except Mothers Day and Christmas) and no in person visits. He will miss births (my sister in law is in due in a couple months and I am sure there will be more), no weddings in our family future that he will miss (Nicole, don't even think about it!!!), but any other big family event they miss out on. Matt and I got married while his brother was gone on his mission. It was kind of weird having a brother I had never met before. Overall, the whole family is so blessed for having a missionary out and I am excited for those blessings and the missionary letters that are jam packed with the Spirit.

By the end of the day we all felt like Stacey's Kyle.


On this trip out to Utah, Hayden had a hay day with Sadie and Sadie, though large, is a gentle giant.

3 comments:

Scott, Kara, Paul, Brad and Andee said...

Wow, I still can't believe little Timmy is that old and big! He will be awesome. Your family has grown so big, it was fun to look at all the little kids and pick out who looked like who.

Dan and Jen said...

Cute pictures! Tim's going to come home to a lot of change where the nieces and nephews are concerned. I love Kyle's face in the group picture. Who spiked his sippy cup? And I think Hayden looks a lot like you in that group picture. So cute!

stacey lake said...

What cute pictures! I loved the ones you got of Tim as he was leaving, since we weren't there when he left. Also, love the one of Kyle fast asleep. It was so neat to have you and your kids here that week.