For those who commented that they'd like to know what we made for our freezer meals, here are the recipes that I sent out to our group. Hope you can get some good ideas from them!
Chicken and Biscuits by Carrie
Pam @ Onceamonthmom.com
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
2 cups cubed frozen hashbrowns
12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can refrigerated biscuits
In a bowl, mix chicken, potatoes, veggies, soup, and seasonings. Place in deep 8×8 baking dish. Arrange biscuits on top of casserole. Bake covered with foil at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are cooked and golden brown.
In a bowl, mix chicken, potatoes, veggies, soup, and seasonings. Place in deep 8×8 baking dish. Arrange biscuits on top of casserole. Cover with foil, label, and freeze. To serve: Do NOT thaw. Bake covered with foil at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking for another 20 minutes or until biscuits are cooked and golden brown.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs & Cascone’s Sauce
6 lb Ground Beef 4 lb Sweet & Spicy Pork Sausage
30 Mozzarella Sticks (or 2 lb mozzarella) 6 Cups dry bread crumbs
1 ½ Cup Milk 8 eggs, lightly beaten
4 Tbs Minced Garlic (18 cloves) 1 ½ Tbs Salt
4 tsp Pepper ½ Cup Minced Onion
1. Remove string cheese from wrappers and cut into 8 equal pieces. Or cut 1 lb mozzarella into 120 cubes. Place in a large bowl and freeze until it’s time to form meatballs.
2. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
3. Using your hands, thoroughly combine beef, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 1 inch meatballs around each piece of frozen mozzarella. Seal meatballs well to keep cheese from oozing out.
4. Place meatballs close together on lightly greased rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Once meatballs have cooled divide evenly among 10 Gallon Zipploc Freezer bags and add a jar of Cascone’s Sauce. Seal and freeze.
To Cook One Entrée:
1. Completely thaw one entrée in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Pour meatballs and sauce into an ungreased baking dish. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until meatballs are heated through.
4. Cook spaghetti to desired texture and serve sauce over spaghetti.
Or place in crockpot and cook until heated thru.
Chicken and Rice Soup
· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
· 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
· 4 fresh thyme sprigs
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
· 1 cup of water
· 1 cup long grain white rice
· 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
· salt and black pepper
Place a soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned. Pour in the chicken broth and water- bring the liquid to a boil. Add in the rice and chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium-low until the rice is tender-about 30 minutes. Serve hot, or cool and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Pour contents of freezer bag into a soup pot and heat until warm on the stove. You can also pour contents into a microwave safe bowl and warm in the microwave. Serve with a side salad and dinner rolls to make it a complete meal.
1/2 lb of hamburger
1 package of Ziti noodles (6-7 cups)
1 tsp of Italian season
1/2 cup of ricotta cheese
1/4 cup of parmesan shredded cheese
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
Cook Ziti noodles and drain water. Add Italian seasons to hamburger. Brown meat and drain grease. Mix together spaghetti sauce, ricotta and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Add cooked hamburger and noodles in bowl. Stir together and pour into a 9x12 baking dish. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes.
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 can green diced chilis
1 large can green or red enchilada sauce
Cook and shred chicken. Simmer with green chilis. Heat corn tortillas. Fill tortillas with chicken, onion and cheese. Top with green sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
Freezing instructions: prepare enchiladas as above except do not put green sauce on top as enchiladas will become mushy. Freeze sauce in quart size freezer bag.
Reheating instructions: warm sauce and cover enchiladas. Place cheese on top if desired. Bake as directed above.
We like to serve this meal with Spanish rice and beans.
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
(This recipe will make enough for 2 families.)
Yummy with breadsticks!
1 (16 oz) pkg frozen broccoli
6 carrots, sliced
4 stalks of celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cubes butter or margarine
1 ½ cups flour
10 cups water
10-12 chicken bouillon cubes (I used 10)
1 (16oz) container Cheez Whiz or Velveeta Cheese (I used Velveeta)
Steam vegetables until almost tender (I boiled the veggies). In a separate bowl, microwave butter or margarine until melted. Stir in flour and whisk together. Then add to boiling water and stir. Add drained vegetable to soup. Add velveeta cheese. Stir until melted. (I preferred putting cheese in first so that I could make sure and get cheese mixed in nice and smooth before I put in veggies.) If freezing cool, then put in a freezer bag. Lay flat in freezer. To reheat after freezing, thaw and then heat through on stove top or crockpot.
The Chili recipe by Amanda and Cream Cheese Chx by Paula were handed out that night. If you need those recipes please contact myself or the cook to get those recipes. Thanks to all who participated!!