Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Freezer Meal Group

I haven't wanted to do much to get ready for this baby that's growing inside of me. I don't know if I'm in denial that I am about to have 3, or that I just don't want to interrupt the groove of life that we are in, or that I just keep thinking there really isn't that much that needs to be done so why do anything now? What I am feeling a need to do is to prepare for some of the everyday challenges of having 3 kids and a needy infant such as feeding my family. Those that know me, know that I am obsessive about dinner. I have to be prepared and I have to have it done in a timely manner at an appropriate eating time. It is just something that I feel strongly about and need to do to have peace of mind. So after hearing my sister-in-law Jen talk about a freezer meal group that she does, I thought what a great way to stock up my freezer for after the baby. And one thing I have always felt strongly about is that if you want something to get done then get in there and do it yourself: so I started a freezer meal group amongst some of my friends.



This was my first and only run thus far. It was a lot of work and I learned a lot! From the time I started pulling things out at 10am to washing the last dish at 4pm, I was on my feet and worked just about the entire time (I would stop briefly to help with my kids needs such as lunch, etc). My pregnancy body was pretty worn out! Not knowing, I chose a meal, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, that took more time than others would. But it turned out really yummy.




I made quite the mess and used just about every pot I own including one from my Mother-in-Law, but after our exchange and receiving a bunch of meals out in my freezer that will be so easy to get out, thaw, reheat and serve I really think it was SOOO worth it!! And my next meal I have planned to do 10 of will be so much easier to put together. By the way, we are doing this monthly with 10 people in our group, which means we come with 10 of the same meal and leave with 10 different meals.



My bags of soup, done and ready to go in the freezer! What an accomplishment!!

5 comments:

The Haas Family said...

So I found your blog via Heidi's blog. SO cute! Love the skiing picture!

Whit said...

This is such an awesome idea. When we move back..whenever that will be...I want to join in on this! I can't believe you're going to be having this baby soon!! I can't wait to meet her!!

Ashley said...

Wow, such a great idea! Thanks for posting Amber. Do you post your freezer recipes?

Anna-Lisa said...

Amber - I'm soooo jealous. You are so prepared for dinners! I just dread dinner time EVERY night because I HATE making it. Freezer meals might not work for me (still a picky eater), how else do you plan/prepare meals each night? I'm up for all suggestions. Seriously, we mainly go out to eat because I just don't know how to make dinner!

Becky T said...

Good work! I am jealous too! I love having a dinner plan and this would be so awesome! So, now I'm curious what all the others in your group made...just to have ideas of good freezer meals! Keep us updated on how it goes!