Saturday, December 26, 2009

Introducing Hayden Yvonne Nielsen

Hayden Yvonne Nielsen
December 22, 2009
3 weeks early to the day
5 lbs 9 oz, 18 inches long
11:51 pm
The First 24 hours:

The morning of the 22nd I awoke to find that I had "lost" my mucous plug. This means that you will usually have the baby with in the week. But I knew something was up soon afterwards. My contractions were just more intense but by no means more regular. With Carter my labor was 4 hours long so I was expecting another fast one and felt on guard all day because I knew I needed to get to the hospital ASAP as soon as labor was starting. That night our friends were going to visit one of Matt's co-residents who had a baby the day before. Since Carter and I had colds we didn't want to go, but I thought what a better place to go and walk and feel like I was in a safe environment to start true labor since I was feeling like I was in the early stages. So we went and I walked and walked and walked. While all of this was going on, Matt got out of the ER around 8 pm and came to meet me in the hallway (He was chief and on call at this time). Finally, by the time our friends came back to get us, I was pretty sure I was about to start true labor. So Matt and I walked into Labor and Delivery Registration to see if they would keep me. At this point I was still smiling and I could tell they were skeptical, but I knew my body. They took me in, hooked me up. Contractions were good. The OB resident checked me, I was a 4 and 80% effaced. BUT I still had 3 weeks to go, so they didn't know if they wanted to keep me. Dr. Logan (on call OB and my dr with the 1st half of my preg with Carter and tied for my all time favorite dr) came in the room and said we are keeping you! And sure enough next contraction brought on one of the wildest experiences of my life.

When the resident checked me it put my body into gear and I was in FULL-BLOWN labor around 9:30ish or so. The contractions were INTENSE and HURTING!! The only anesthesiologist was in a c-section but should be coming "soon." Long story short, he showed up at 11:20 after I had been in unbelievable pain for the last 2 hours and gave me my epidural around 11:25 or so. He warned me before that there was a good chance that it wouldn't be effective because I was progressing so fast. He was right. A few minutes after the epidural, Dr. Logan broke my water and a few minutes after that I felt Hayden get into position and I informed everyone quite authoritatively that it was time to push!! I pushed through 4 contractions. After the third she was crowned and I was told to stop pushing. Dr. Logan started stretching me as I was begging him and Matt to let me start pushing. I didn't know if I could handle this another moment. It was the most raw and intense pain I had ever been through. Next contraction I got her out on my second push. And the very next second, I realized I had just been through one of the most miraculous things I could ever experience. I had given birth to my child and had felt it all (I think the epidural took a tiny bit of the edge off, I guess I felt about 85% of it). It was amazing and I couldn't believe how 2 seconds afterwards I thought that I would do it all over again. Not that I would choose that again. I think I would go for an epidural on the next one (but I probably won't have time). So after 2 and 1/2 hours of labor our Beautiful Hayden came into the world and began to immediately bless our lives!! And Momma, came out of it feeling GREAT!!! Compared to my bad 3rd degree tear with Carter I felt like I could have gotten up and ran down the hallway after Hayden (no tear). That was a HUGE BLESSING!!!

These hands are amazing hands that we are so grateful for. They belong to our lactation consultant, Bob. Yes, Bob is a man AND a lactation consultant. He is known as Bob the Boob. He did wonders for Hayden and me. Carter fought breastfeeding every step of the way and I dreaded every feeding for 5 months. Now, thanks to Bob's help. Breastfeeding Hayden is the highlight of my day and I look forward to each one!

Hayden was born teeny tiny at 11:51pm by 6 am the next day, we were informed that Hayden needed to go down to the NICU. Her heart rate, temp and blood sugar were all low. She was a champ and was able to come home today, the 26th. While she was there, Matt and I learned what a special place the NICU is and how special the staff is there. Our hearts have grown for each and every person in there. In the picture above Matt is changing her diaper. That was quite a challenge doing it through those arm holes.

She was pretty sleepy those first couple days. We didn't really see her eyes until after her first 24 hours.
We love her and are SOOOO grateful she has come into our lives!


Jess said...

Wow! What a story! She is so beautiful and I am so happy that you both are doing well! Let me know if I can do anything for you! Call me in the next little while for pictures! I can't wait to meet her!

Anna-Lisa said...

Amber and Matt Congratulations! I am so happy for you and I hope to meet little Hayden soon! I'm glad that you are all doing well and that Hayden is okay! Good luck with your new little one.

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Congratulations on becoming a family of FOUR! She's a beautiful little miracle, we are so happy for you!

Heitmann Family said...

She is amazingly beautiful!! Congrats to you and Matt!! What a wonderful Christmas this must have been for you guys!!!

Clark Family said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful Christmas present!

Scott, Kara, Paul and Brad said...

What a sweetie she is! Way to go Amber! Brad was 3 weeks early and Paul was 4, both had to be in the NICU too. I also felt a lot of my labor and it is truly amazing! I am so glad she is home and doing good. Love you and miss you!

Stacey said...

I am so happy that she is home!!!! I love seeing all the cute pictures of her. I feel we also learned a lot having our babies in the NICU. Not to mention the little bit of sleep I got for the first week was nice! Love you all so much!

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhodenizer Family said...

What a Beautiful little girl! They are so fun to have around! Congratualtions you guys!!

Becky T said...

I'm so glad you got to posting so quick! I love birth stories because each baby comes into this world in their own unique way and it's so special. I'm so happy for your family. We love you all to pieces and can't wait for the day that we can meet her (let's make it happen, k?!). She's such a pretty little baby and that picture of you three is crazy since it could totally be the exact same pic with Carter from 3 years ago--just a different BYU shirt for Matt! :) New baby=new BYU shirt I guess, huh?! Congratulations again, we are so happy for you!

tonya said...

I am so glad you went into so much detail. I just feel flooded with so many memories reading your experience. I am so happy for your family. What a beautiful baby girl. Congratulations!!